Tuesday, October 20, 2009

CoBrA Munny Packaging.


(You can view larger versions of all of the images by clicking.)

I guess first I'll start with a little bit of a backstory. I was introduced to the CoBrA in highschool and right away I fell in love with the aggressive line work and child-like aesthetic of the movement. I spent much of my senior year exploring and experimenting and it's something I still do on the side (which may seem odd considering the style of my other work.)

I started this project to be a birthday gift for my good friend Jeremy Sims who I am currently working with on a CoBrA exhibition that we're hoping will be opening sometime in November. I designed the Munny, the graphics for the packaging and the structure of the packaging itself.





For Jeremy I decided to paint one of the smaller Munnies; It makes mine look huge!


I actually started working on prototypes for the structure of the packaging over the summer. One of my main goals was to create a package that opens to allow a wide birth for the hand-painted toy which is quite susceptible to scratches. The end result is a package in which the top, front and bottom surfaces all open. What you see here is the final hand-cut prototype with some ideas on the placement of the graphics.



Here's the actual laser-cut package.


Above are the films for the finalized graphics. I elected to screenprint them on to the box rather than covering it with a wrap in order to retain the 'raw' aesthetic of the cardboard. Most of the graphics were design in illustrator and printed on duralar, but the drawing of the CoBrA character that the Munny was modeled after was hand-drawn on vellum.



The final printed graphics.




The final package. Happy to say Jeremy was very pleased with the final product :]


No comments:

Post a Comment